Apr 13, 2017
10565 Views
176 0

Written by

Success leaves clues! Rather than trying to figure it all out on your own – why not listen to someone who has been involved with nearly every aspect of real estate for decades? On today’s episode of The BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down with Jay Hinrichs, an investor and hard money lender from Oregon, to learn how he has navigate the real estate market for more than forty years – and how you can grow your own business from his wisdom!

Check the show notes here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/bp-podcast-222lessons-learned-40years-real-estate-investor-jay-hinrichs/

Article Categories:
Real Estate · Investing · Videos

Comments to Lessons Learned from 40+ Years as a Real Estate Investor with Jay Hinrichs | BP Podcast 222

• Amazing interview.

Hassan Hussein April 13, 2017 6:30 am Reply
  • This was awesome! thanks for the wisdom sir!

Tommy Mejia April 13, 2017 7:04 pm Reply
  • great job Jay!

Malibu LongBoards Surf School April 13, 2017 9:31 pm Reply
  • Thanks Jay for providing so much valuable information.

Justin Young April 13, 2017 11:35 pm Reply
  • great guy

FOOZGaming April 14, 2017 3:14 am Reply
  • I've listened to and have 'liked' many of these podcasts but this one will be the one that will get me to finally introduce myself in the BP forums. Fantastic episode and Jay was very informative. Wealth of knowledge here. Thanks guys!

QuintilusCastle April 14, 2017 8:34 pm Reply
  • Hey guys enjoy your stuff and your message. You guys keep it real.On an unrelated topic, I'd like your input onto this. I'm currently in the military and I make $20k/year income on my tax returns. I also get UNTAXED housing, food, and have virtually no expenses. As a result, I only qualify for about ~80k for a house, even if i have over $15k spending money and no bills. To combat this, I am thinking of starting an online E-Book business that sells ebooks for $5000 each, and buying it myself 4 times. On my income taxes, it would show that I earned 20k/yr from my military paycheck, and $20k from my online business, bringing my gross income to 40k/yr, and qualifying me for way more home. Do you think that this is legal? I understand that I would pay taxes on the 20k from my business and the 20k from my military paycheck. I would also make sure that I could afford the house. P.S. Keep rocking on.

Brian Basford April 15, 2017 12:17 am Reply
    • Brian Basford isn't that laundering?

James Rodgers April 15, 2017 4:42 am Reply
    • That feels pretty shady and I don't expect it is something you can do. Fraud feels like the right term, since you would need to leave out that your <20k extra post-tax income requires 20k in mandatory expenses to sustain.If you still live in barracks/dorm, then you aren't really receiving any significant housing income that you could leverage. Once you move out and receive BAH, that will get to be added directly to your income for lending purposes. Until then, you are largely stuck with reduced loan offerings. Save your money to make up the difference and be sure to consider that you will probably become an absentee landlord pretty quickly due to deployments or PCS, so be sure your numbers are correct and that you won't be overleveraged when you move.

Cody April 16, 2017 3:15 am Reply
    • Brian Basford. Sounds like bank fraud. Don't do it.

anxietyislandllc April 20, 2017 6:36 am Reply
  • amazing person!Thank you for podcast.

Aleksei Petrovski April 15, 2017 12:28 am Reply
  • Jay is great on bp. Aerican water works association approved method to find water.

Markvic1984 April 15, 2017 6:13 pm Reply
  • You guys and your guests are awesome but the "random five" thing is way off topic and I don't like it.

anxietyislandllc April 20, 2017 6:27 am Reply
  • Commercial is the way to go.

Janloy Quintero May 4, 2017 11:35 pm Reply
  • Charleston Sc is a great area from what I hear. Im a contractor in Pittsburgh and one of my customers just retired to there. They said that if i moved there i would be beyond busy down there just with odds and end jobs. I am interested in real estate investing and learning all i can right now. You guys are great. Thank you for doing this, you have helped me and im sure so many others. And thank you Jay for sharing your experiences.

Joe Shmoe May 21, 2017 3:29 am Reply
  • great story

Luis M May 23, 2017 2:54 am Reply
  • Jay you are awesome. I live in Mississippi and want to be like you sir!

Adam Mangana May 29, 2017 11:25 pm Reply